We are seeking a detail-oriented part-time (24 hours / week) Financial Manager / Bookkeeper to focus on accounting duties and the preparation of financial reports, including general ledger maintenance, bank and account reconciliations, financial and budget reporting, internal controls, and payroll processing. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and will support the financial management of a $2M-$3M annual operating budget and the implementation of a multi-million-dollar capital campaign.
Specific duties include:
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget; manage and monitor the budget, highlighting variances, identifying opportunities to reduce costs, and proposing strategies to minimize financial risk
- Record all accounting transactions, correcting / adjusting entries, and closing journal entries in accordance with established procedures and generally accepted accounting principles
- Ensure the accurate and timely monthly and year-end close along with the reporting of all monthly financial information
- Process invoices and payments, manage and process payroll, and manage contracts and receivables
- Review, prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports, such as monthly balance sheets, profit and loss statements with variance, and income and expense forecasts, among others.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and assign entries to proper accounts
- Monitor the organization’s use of bank accounts, credit cards, loans, and lines of credit, and manage monthly reconciliations
- Monitor and project cash flows for the organization
- Allocate expenses by account and class on a monthly basis
- Record earned, contributed, and contract revenue, and manage and maintain the monthly schedule of temporarily and permanently restricted contributions
- Ensure strong professional relationships with auditors and other external financial stakeholders
- Manage and act as liaison for annual financial audits, providing auditors with necessary documents and ensuring compliance with local and federal tax filing requirements
- Manage preparation and delivery of 1099-misc forms to independent contractors
- Assist with HR-related responsibilities including new hire documents, compliance, disability insurance, and workers’ compensation filings
- Work with Executive Director to manage licenses, leases, and all insurances, including health, to ensure adequate coverage and minimization of risk
Skills and Experience Required
- A sincere and proactive commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Training and at least five years of demonstrated experience in accounting and accounting best practices
- Proficiency with a variety of accounting software, such as Account Edge and QuickBooks, and with Excel and other MS office applications
- Deep knowledge of US GAAP
- Strong organizational and data entry skills
- Proven ability to produce work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven ability to work independently and in a self-directed manner
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment as well as discretion with sensitive information
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- Nonprofit experience preferred. Campaign accounting experience is a plus
- Familiarity with donor databases such as Patron Manager or SalesForce is a plus
- Ability to pass a background check and be bonded will be required
- Salary range is $35K-$45K per year based on part-time, permanent employment at 24 hours / week
- The Revels benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, paid holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days, and the ability to contribute to a pre-tax 403b retirement fund
- Opportunity for a flexible work schedule
- Office Location: 80 Mt. Auburn Street, Watertown, MA 02472
Diversity is a fundamental element in Revels’ musical and theatrical productions. Through music, dance, and storytelling, we celebrate the seasonal and cultural traditions of our world, honoring and upholding the differences that make individuals and cultures truly unique while reminding us of the shared humanity that connects us all. This principle guides our organizational approach with events, educational programs, performers, audience, volunteers, partners, and staff. We offer an open, creative space that welcomes every person to help shape and take part in our distinctive community experiences.
Revels, based in Watertown, MA, engages audiences across nine U.S. cities in theatrical and musical experiences that bring the world’s cultural traditions and celebrations to life. Since its founding in 1971, nearly two million people nationwide have joined in the song and dance of Revels’ seasonal celebrations. In-person programs include the flagship production The Christmas Revels, Revels RiverSing, Spring Sing, salons, Harbor Cruises, and Pub Sings, as well as a collaborative program with the Perkins School for the Blind and innovative educational programs for children. Revels offers online programs as part of its #RevelsConnects series, including Musical Connections, produced with the Mass Cultural Council’s Folk Arts and Tradition Program. Revels’ cast and backstage crew include a mix of professional and non-professional singers, dancers, and storytellers ranging from young children to adults. Learn more about Revels at www.revels.org.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a statement of interest along with whatever materials they think would best communicate why they are the right person for the job. Additional materials may be requested. Send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and please include FINANCIAL MANAGER in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you.
share this story on social media