Comin’ Up Shouting
John Andrew Ross, music director of the National Center of Afro-American Artists and Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts, breathes glorious new life into vintage African-American religious music: heart-rending slave spirituals; vintage gospel; secretly coded songs that the Underground Railway used to aid escaping slaves; and classic hymns of longing and redemption, many of which became anthems for the civil rights movement. The CD includes some seasonal material, but this is a record to savor all year. Ross leads the thrilling New England Spriritual Ensemble and Voices of Black Persuasion.
Hear samples from select pieces.
Full songlist below:
1. The Old Landmark
2. Didn’t It Rain
3. Nobody’s Fault But Mine
4. Up Above my Head
5. Just Another Day
6. Rock-a mah Soul in the Bosom of Abraham
7. Go Down, Moses
8. Little David, Play on Your Harp
9. Joshua Fit de Battle of Jericho
10. We Are Climbing Jacob’s Ladder
11. Ezekiel Saw the Wheel
12. Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
13. Behold That Star!
14. Go, Tell It on the Mountain
15. Mary Had a Baby
16. Sister Mary Had-a But One Child
17. My Lord, What a Morning!
18. Wade in de Water
19. Steal Away
20. Hold On!
21. Fix Me, Jesus
22. Lord, Don’t Move My Mountain
23. Just Another Day (reprise)
25. Poor Pilgrim